Download the book
eBook on Faecal Sludge Management (35.8 MB)The book is currently available in English and Spanish. We are working on translations to French, Russian, Hindi, Tamil and Marathi.
This is the first book dedicated to faecal sludge management. It compiles the current state of knowledge of this rapidly evolving field, and presents an integrated approach that includes technology, management and planning. It addresses the planning and organization of the entire faecal sludge management service chain, from the collection and transport of sludge and treatment options, to the final enduse or disposal of treated sludge. In addition to providing fundamentals and an overview of technologies, the book goes into details of operational, institutional and financial aspects, and provides guidance on how to plan a city-level faecal sludge management project with the involvement of all the stakeholders.
Below you will find all the course materials to download that belong to the original version of the FSM online course.
- Unit 1 Introduction to faecal sludge managementDownload
- Unit 2 Technological fundaments of FSMDownload
- Unit 3 Collection and transport of faecal sludgeDownload
- Unit 4 Faecal sludge treatment technologiesDownload
- Unit 5 Management in faecal sludgeDownload
- Unit 6 Planning in faecal sludge managementDownload
This video database includes all the keynote presentations of the original version of the Faecal Sludge Management distance learning course*.
The course contains several documented case studies. This database includes all the case studies in the original version of the Faecal Sludge Management distance learning course*. The case studies database is being kept up-to-date and expanded with new case studies.
- Anaerobic digestion and sand beds│ThailandDownload
- FSM-Programs for organized desludging │PhilippinesDownload
- Faecal sludge management financial flow│ThailandDownload
- FSM - Programs for organized desludging │PhilippinesDownload
- Characterisation of faecal sludge │S. AfricaDownload
- Faecal sludge management │IndiaDownload
- Large scale LaDePa machine │S. AfricaDownload
- Market structuring of faecal sludge management │SenegalDownload
- Reuse of faecal sludge as a soil conditioner in agriculture │IndiaDownload
- Financial transfers│ThailandDownload
- Engaging traditional pit emptier groups │BangladeshDownload
- LaDePa process │S. AfricaDownload
Innovations in FSM
The innovation video database primarily includes innovative technologies supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and was presented during the ‘Reinvent the Toilet’ fairs in Seattle and Delhi.